SEASON 5 ACTS: Jackie Evancho
TALENT: Classical Crossover Singer
BORN: April 9, 2000
HOMETOWN: Pittsburgh, PA
FINISHED: Runner Up
Jacqueline Marie Evancho started singing when she was seven years old, after watching the movie The Phantom of the Opera. Her mother heard Jackie singing songs from the movie and allowed her to enter a local talent contest. She finished as the runner-up and was voted the audience favorite. Eventually she participated in other talent contests and started a YouTube channel.
Evancho has performed onstage with producer David Foster; was an invited performer on the PBS Special “Celebrate America” with conductor/composer Tim Janis; sang the national anthem at an event honoring aviation pioneer General Chuck Yeager; and has performed many times at the invitation of Pennsylvania Senator Jane Orie. Jackie also performs at numerous events and charity functions in and around her hometown.
Jackie sings in the “classical crossover” style of singers such as Hayley Westenra and Sarah Brightman. She studies singing with a voice coach, and also plays the violin and piano.
On November 1, 2009, Evancho released her debut CD, Prelude to a Dream. The album features mainly covers of songs such as Martina McBride’s “Concrete Angel,” Josh Groban’s “To Where You Are,” and a cover of “Amazing Grace,” among others.
Several crossover selections appear on the album as well; “Con te Partiro” is not an operatic piece, although “O Mio Babbino Caro” does appear in Puccini’s “Gianni Schicchi.” The version of Schubert’s “Ave Maria” heard on the album is not the original song, which is set to a secular text in German. Instead, it’s an arrangement of the Roman Catholic setting of the “Hail Mary” prayer in Italian.
- Jackie has an older brother, a younger brother and a younger sister
- Jackie and her family have over 23 pets, including: dogs, cats, chickens and more.
Where Is Jackie Now?
- Released “Heavenly Christmas” album [November, 2011]
- Became youngest person to give solo concert at Lincoln Center [November, 2011]
- Released her second full studio album, “Dream With Me” [June, 2011]
- Scheduled to sing at Carnegie Hall [December 2, 2010]
- Performing on the national “America’s Got Talent” live tour [November, 2010]
- Appeared and performed on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” [October 22, 2010]
- Released a solo CD, O Holy Night [October, 2010]
- Sang at the National Christmas Tree Lighting in Washington, D.C. [December, 2010]